Locally we have a team of Pharmacists who work to help us get the best out of medicines for our population. This team is called the Medicines Optimisation Team.
Medicines Optimisation is about helping patients and health professionals to make the right treatment choices and use them correctly.
We use an evidence based approach to choosing prescription products which balances the safety, effectiveness, value and ease of use. When decisions are made the discussions involve GPs, Consultants, Pharmacists and Patients. Sometimes the decisions can be difficult and we have to make recommendations that involve changes to treatments or focussing their use only to those who with benefit most but the overall aim is to get the biggest improvement in health for the most people with the resources that we have.
The list below gives you some examples of things that come under Medicines Optimisation – although there are many more:
- Supporting patients and health professionals to make joint decisions about the best treatment for the individual,
- Giving health professionals unbiased information on new and existing medicines,
- Helping avoid harms or side-effects that can be caused by medicines,
- Developing guidelines to ensure conditions are managed as well as they can be,
- Reducing wasted medicines,
- Communicating with hospitals and community pharmacies.
Overall, our aim is to improve the health of the local population by promoting safe, effective and efficient use of medicines.
You can contact the Medicines Optimisation Team on 01753 636845
We have a list of medications that are recommended for prescribing locally that is jointly agreed with local specialists. This list is called a "formulary".
The formulary that covers the CCG can be found here: http://www.frimleyhealthformulary.nhs.uk/