The flu vaccination is one of the most effective ways to be protected from flu and reduces risk of serious illness, hospitalisation and even death amongst those who are at most risk.
It is particularly important for people in the groups below to get their free flu vaccination:
- Children aged 2, 3 and 4 years old;
- Children aged 5-7 (school year 1, 2 and 3);
- Everyone over 65 years old;
- Anyone with a long term condition such as diabetes, chronic liver or neurological disease;
- Anyone living in a residential or nursing home;
- Pregnant women;
- The main carer of an older or disabled person.
For more information about who needs to be vaccinated and why please visit http://www.nhs.uk/staywell.
If you are a carer and you would like to know more about why the flu jab is for you, please click here.
For information about local services and looking after yourself this winter, please click here.
Across east Berkshire, we want to protect as many people as possible from the flu, by vaccinating those who are most vulnerable; the youngest, oldest and those high-risk due to being pregnant or having a long term condition.
In terms of local delivery, here are some of the facts:
- As a Clinical Commissioning Group, our role involves coordinating the efforts of organisations that are involved in the flu program. This includes making sure everyone from NHS England to local bodies such as GP practices and hospitals are all aligned and working together.
- This year, we want to ensure that people who are most at-risk of preventable emergency admission to hospital are aware of and, wherever possible, are motivated to take those actions that may avoid admission this winter – key to that is vaccination against flu. Respiratory illnesses are a particular source of winter hospital admissions, especially among people with long term conditions and we want to help avoid that.
- Often, we find that those patients who have long term conditions such as chronic liver disease or neurological disease often have routine appointments at their hospital rather than their GP clinic. For this reason, they may not be aware of the local flu clinic, or the fact it is important for them to be vaccinated against flu. We are working with the local hospital trusts to help spread the word about the importance of being vaccinated against flu.
- Wexham Park hospital offers a flu clinic in the antenatal units. The flu vaccine reduces the risk of complications and potential harmful consequences for both mother and baby.
- We take the health of our staff very seriously across east Berkshire and therefore encourage all GP practice staff to get vaccinated free of cost. This will ensure they are not spreading the virus to patients they meet and ensure they get through the winter without falling terribly ill themselves! Our staff are our backbone and we need them safe and healthy!
- This year, across east Berkshire nearly 60 pharmacies are providing the free flu jab to adults, so if you cannot make it to your GP practice, ask your local pharmacist for more information.
- There are a huge number of staff involved in the flu vaccine – everyone from GP practice managers who order the vaccine and invite patients to get vaccinated, nurses at GP surgeries, midwifes and school nurses. Everyone is committed to ensure that we are able to vaccinate as many people in these high-risk groups as possible.
If you are in Slough, please see the list of pharmacies offering the free flu jab:
Boots - Unit 731B, 298 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Boots - 178-184 High Street, Slough, SL1 1PE
Superdrug - Unit 82 The Mall, Queensmere Centre, Slough, SL1 1DG
Superdrug - 292 Farnham Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4XL
KKV (UK) LTD - 400 Farnham Road, Slough, SL2 1JD
KKV (UK) Limited - 36 High Street, Colnbrook, Slough, Berkshire, SL3 0LX
Care @ Oxford Limited - Farnham Road Surgery, 301 Farnham Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 1HD
Lloyds Pharmacy - 10 Upton Lea Parade, Wexham Road, Slough, SL2 5JU
Lloyds Pharmacy - 188 High Street, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1JS
Lloyds Pharmacy - 18 Parlaunt Road, Langley, Slough, SL3 8BB
Lloyds Pharmacy - 417-9 Bath Road, Cippenham, Slough, SL1 5QL
PLWP Limited - Unit 2 Willow Parade, Meadfield Road, Langley, Slough, Berkshire, SL3 8HN
McParland HA LTD - 306 Trelawney Avenue, Langley, Slough, SL3 7UB
McParland HA LTD - 6 The Harrow Market, Langley, Slough, SL3 8HJ
McParland HA LTD - 226 Farnham Road, Slough, Slough, SL1 4XE
ASDA Superstore - Telford Drive, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 9LA
Sainsbury’s - Uxbridge Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1SW
Tesco - Brunel Way, Wellington Street, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1XW
FVZ Pharma LLP - 6 Upton Lea Parade, Wexham Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 5JU
Anglebond LTD - 9 Villiers Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 1NW